July 12, 2008

Arriving in Abiquiu

I'm lazy. I'm just going to post the email I sent the kids this morning:

We arrived in Abiquiu after an adventurous day at Bandelier Nat'l. Mon. (more about that another time). We were exhausted. Our hosts, Jeff and Marilyn, crossed us on the road as they headed out to dinner. They seem like wonderful people (mother and son), and the thoughtfulness with which they've appointed this "casita" nearly overwhelmed us. It is great! They thought of everything, and the fridge, cabinets and closets are stocked with an endless supply of.......well, pretty much everything.

The view from the back porch is of the Pedernal and Black Mesa. The front yard has a table with umbrella (where they set the morning paper for us) right next to a pinon tree decorated with very busy hummingbird feeders and other bird feeders. They have Arabian horses which we have not seen or met as yet and two Jack Russels which I spied racing around the house last night. I've been promised we will get a chance for an up close and personal meet and greet. Yay!

Right now I'm half sitting, half lying on the sofa while the laundry gets done. I don't know where dad is. I think he's wandering around the property. Neither one of us are in a hurry today. Our bodies are still kind of adjusting to the altitude, which has hit us this time for some reason. After lunch I guess we will drive into town and check out the shops and look at the 2 or 3 restaurants and bars. There are 2 other towns within 1/2 hour from here. We'll explore those too.

I suspect we will tour Ghost Ranch, where Georgia O'Keeffe had a studio and painted some of her more famous landscapes. There are also several places where we can hike.

For a little extra spice, we learned from our host that Shirly MacLaine lives just the other side of the hill, and Marsha Mason lives about 1/2 mile away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carole,
Loving your blog! I read it all tonight while I'm waiting for word that Michelle landed safely in Hamburg, Germany. (She flew there with her 13 year old cousin) She's supposed to land in about 30 minutes. Yay! Have a great rest of your trip and keep the comments and pictures coming!
Kathe :)

Carole said...

Hope Michelle has a great time. My first trip to Europe was Munich, Germany.

Anonymous said...

Michelle's visiting family friends near Hamburg. They'll do a couple of overnight trips to Berlin and Amsterdam and lots of day trips local to Hamburg. She called this morning. I think she's a little homesick, but very excited.