July 24, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns and Artesia

7/23

We decided to drive directly to Carlsbad in the morning. "First thing," of course, turned out to be closer to 10.
The Desert Zoo just outside of town was excellent. It was a real bargain at $5 each, and just about every species
was represented. We also had an opportunity to see a botanical garden with an amazing display of the flora native
to New Mexico. We had lunch in the picnic area there.
Afterwards, we drove around town and decided we really didn't want to stay in this town. Fast food restaurants and
high priced hotels (relative to amenities) sold us on the idea of driving on toe Artesia after visiting the Caverns.
Being a mile underground did not bother me as much as I feared it would. The cavern was enormous/huge and beyond
any reference. I only wish my photographic expertise had been equal to the experience. I can't say for certain
until I examine them more closely, but I believe the results were somewhere south of mediocre.
Artesia was interesting. It is an oil town, and as we have found with small oil towns, this was a truly pleasant
little place. I guess the companies have to make the places as palatable as possible so they will be allowed full
rein to rape the earth at will. I know, not fair and entirely biased. Moving on, it had a great little downtown
area. We had dinner at the Wellhead Brewery right on Main Street. The hotel itself was comfortable and quiet in
that unremarkable way of the Holiday Inn Express. It works for us. Who needs quaint when all you want is to lie
down on a clean bed and sleep through the night?

No comments: